garnet: on my mind

for my whole life, I’ve sort of despised that garnet was my birthstone. even in college, when my school colors were garnet and gold, I still could not stand the gem. for eighth grade graduation, my aunt and uncle gave me a pair of garnet stud earrings and a pendant necklace to match. for over ten years, those earrings sat in my jewelry stash, in the same strawberry shaped jewelry box that they were gifted to me in, with the price tag still tucked inside.
those are the same garnet earrings that I wear at least two or three times a week.
one day, I had an epiphany about garnet. I don’t know if it was my attempts to brighten up and enhance my attire, or maybe it was finally my acceptance of the garnet gemstone, but I literally decided in one day or so, that I liked garnets. {I’m sure it had a lot to do with the fact that dlb said he thought they were hot earrings… but hey, it was still my epiphany.}
so, just to let you know, I’m accepting of garnet now. and I like these.
{images from sundance}

6 Responses to “garnet: on my mind”

1. Hip Mama Crafts said:

I felt the same way about my birthstone- aquamarine. I am not really a light blue sort of girl I still wear it on special occassions. Garnet I like though!

2. Borda said:

I knew someone that got a garnet and gold ring for college graduation. I always thought it was kind of cute.

You already know how I feel about my birthstone…

3. Her Heatherness said:

I’ve never really cared much for my birthstone – emerald. I never cared much for it’s bright green color. Still, now and then the mood will strike me, and I’ll wear it.

*waves hello* I’m a lurker. :)

4. alyson. said:

oh, I love emerald. it’s so pretty! emerald and sapphire have always been my favorite.

5. Amy Nieto said:

Uuuu your stone would look really good with your black attire. Excellent way to add just a teensy bit of beautiful color :)

To the two ladies with aquamarine and emerald as birthstones….can we trade please?? Both are my favorite stones ever (and turquoise). Mine is white zirc/diamond. Do not care for it AT ALL. Diamond is not my best friend.

Cupcakes are.

But we’re not talking about cupcakes yet right? :P

6. Anne said:

I had a customer who didn’t love hers so I searched around and found out that there are different birthstone charts you can go by.

Also, many stones come in different colors. Amethyst comes in green and aquamarine comes in white, pink, yellow and many shades of blue and green blue. There are more choices then you think! You are no longer stuck with one or two choices!