time for film

for all you film shooters out there, I’ve been thinking about hunting down a film camera. I’m really enjoying our camera, and I’ve been told some of my digital shots look a bit like film, but that’s just not enough… I’m still curious and intrigued I guess. hopefully, this summer when dlb goes back to Idaho, he’ll dig out his Nikon FM10 and I can shoot with that. but with spring on our heels and long sunny days ahead of us, I’m itching to get out there with a sturdy film camera and start shooting. I’ve heard good things about a few, {Pentax K1000, Nikon F, Olympus OM-1, and others} but I thought I’d ask for your advice, experience, etc. using a vintage film camera.
{image from hello_winnie}

10 Responses to “time for film”

1. vanessa.e. said:

the pentax K1000 is always a trusty recommendation. I know a lot of photographers who started out with that camera and continued to shoot with it for years!

you might also want to consider experimenting with medium format cameras, like a holga or a diana. the film isn’t as easy to find and develop as 35, but the results are often worth it and they’re really fun and simple to use… just point, and shoot!
    look on http://shop.lomography.com/shop/

good luck! i love your blog by the way!

2. Deann B. said:

I started out using an OM-1 that my grandfather passed on to me. As my teacher and many of my peers have stated, it truly is a workhorse. I recently loaned it to my brother for his first photography course and I really miss it!

3. Murray said:

I remember the K1000 was recommended by a few photographers when I was in college. I used the Canon AE-1, and although I never had any problems with it (aside from leaking light, which was easily remedied with some foam tape), I don’t think it’s as highly regarded. I bought my sister a Lomo a few years back and she loved it. It might be worth trying the Holga or Diana (as vanessa.e. suggested above) if you are interested in achieving a distinct effect in your pictures as opposed to the clarity and control a digital camera yields.

Good luck, can’t wait to see what you come up with!

4. Lee said:

I’ve used an Olympus OM-1 for 10 years. It’s truly a great camera. It’s got a nice big bright viewfinder and an easy light meter. The thing that’s different about the Olympus OM-1 is that both aperture and shutter speed are on the lens barrel. On most cameras, shutter speed is on top of the camera body. I personally like the OM-1 setup because I can make all the adjustments with one hand. If you want to see pictures I took with it, I can post a link.

I would also suggest a medium format camera. I use a Lomo Lubitel 166. These cameras really make you stop and think about the frame, as opposed to just pointing and shooting.

5. Robin said:

My dad has an old film SLR, I don’t remember what brand, that I used for my photography classes back in high school. Lately I’ve been wanting to try it out again, but I keep hesitating because I know I’ll have to hunt down some weird batteries for it! Maybe this weekend…

6. Kara said:

I think for beginning in film, I would definitely go with a Pentax K1000. It’s sturdy, straightforward and will last a lifetime!

I love your blog, btw and this is inspiring me to break out my old 35mm again.

7. Amy Nieto said:

Oh how I miss my FM10. She was a darling.

8. jenny gordy said:

sounds like there is a lot to choose from. hope you find the perfect one!

9. jen said:

nikkormat, vintage circa 1970. the most beautiful pictures i have ever taken with any camera. good luck!

10. amanda said:

i just found your blog via your flickrstream and i love it.
    i have a nikon fm3a.
    its not super old cause they were made only in the late 90s but they are still very much in the old school film SLR market.
    my first SLR was a Canon 300 but last yr I caved and bought my Nikon which I adore.
    I have a set on Flickr if you’re interested. They are so easy to use, beautifully constructed and I adore the shots it produces.