beirut

I went to see Beirut last night at the Crystal Ballroom.  and it was fanfreakingtabulous.  I always knew that they would be great live but even I was blown away at how great they really were.  I danced and moved my body to the beat and sang along with the crowd to every single song.
what amazes me most about this band is front man, Zach Congdon, who is a mere 22 years old and created all of this, the band, while writing songs and dreaming up plans in his bedroom.  he has such stage presence and his voice is spot on.  they came back for two encores and encouraged the crowd to sing and dance.
if you haven’t had a chance to listen to Beirut yet, please do.  and if you have and you’re lucky enough to see them in concert, it’s sure to be a treat.  just remember to bring your dancing shoes.
{image from pitchfork}

7 Responses to “beirut”

1. stephanie said:

love love beirut. we wanted to go to this show so badly but couldn’t swing the childcare. i’m glad you enjoyed it!

(i am no relation to zach congdon by the way)

2. Alya said:

I’m really intrigued by the name.. I know that Beirut is the capital city of Lebanon, but does it have anything to do with their music? Or maybe the band members?

3. Erica said:

Oh, hey, they’re coming to SF next week — woo hoo!

4. ambika said:

I was lucky enough to see them 2 years ago at a *very* small venue. His voice is amazing and the music (at least from the 1st album) makes me want to move to the Balkans.

5. Catherine said:

Is it true that he played all the instruments on the album himself? I can imagine live would have been amazing, you are so lucky to see musicians like that, I hope you had a wonderful time.

6. Kate said:

totally one of the best shows I’ve been to when I saw them at central park last summer. it’s quite amazing to see so many instruments on stage, and being played by such young people.