my tiny shells

I promised I’d show you my tiny shells. I told you before that I love tiny things. but my love for tiny shells goes way back. when I was a little girl, my grandmother had a shell collection of the tiniest shells that she could find. she would spend her time searching one section of the beach at a time, hunting for the most perfect shells to put into her collection. and let me tell you friends, she has got some amazing ones including tiny, tiny crabs, itty bitty welks, and the smallest shark eye I’ve ever seen. so whenever I went to the beach as a little girl, I would make it a point to bring back something for my grandmother to include in her little box of shells. and the tradition has continued, except now, I’m working on my own tiny collection. and these are what I brought back from my trip.

what about you, readers? what is it that you like to collect? is there any family tradition like this that you’ve carried over into your own home? I’d love to know.

19 Responses to “my tiny shells”

1. Jen said:

The same as you, collecting shells when we go to the Outer Banks in north carolina. The kids love it. And it reminds me of what I was like as a kid visiting the Jersey shore every summer.

2. Beklina said:

I just love this post. I have a lot of little ones myself and I love the blue!

3. Brandi said:

My aunt used to take me to the beach and we’d search for sea glass. Green, white, and brown pieces are particularly common, so I’d always spend time searching for pieces that were a light aqua color or blue. I have some beautiful blue pieces that are just perfect to display.

4. Carolina Eclectic said:

I love tiny things too!

5. •´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said:

Those shells are so precious! I love that you posted a picture. I don’t really collect anything. But I really would love to gather sand from all over the world and put it on display. I think that would be so neat.

6. Light and Writing said:

I haven’t really been a collector although I have always admired the beauty of shells. This was a beautiful post and has inspired me to look more closely next time I am walking on sand!

7. Soon, Then said:

We live in Oregon and regularly vacation to the coast. My mom has always been an agate hunter, and we’ve all, to varying degrees, learned the joys of the hunt for a good agate. I personally don’t love to keep them, for I’ve never found them particularly decorative or that beautiful once they dry off. But I do love the hours of beachcombing and looking. Its serene.

8. MrsEm said:

Ooo! You need to make a trip to Moonstone Beach – by San Simeon – it’s a tiny shell mecca.

9. Kait said:

All things rabbit. My family has been overloading me with figurines and cards of the little furry creatures since I was small.

10. pigeon.toed said:

that is a lovely collection!

11. darling dexter said:

i love these shells! what a great collection :)

12. Sarah said:

Oh, Alyson! I love this collection!!

13. Lesley said:

I have collected minatures since I was a small child. It started with Cracker Jacks prizes, then on to other tiny toys. I have a large collection of tiny shells also. I haven’t looked at them for a while, and when I saw your pic of your collection, it made me smile. I need to “dig them out” and spend time remembering the days spent searching for the tiny treasures. I use to go to bed with a tiny tiny minature in my hand at night, and then would wake up in the middle of the night with the minature lost from my hand. My Mother would faithfully get up with a flashlight and help me search for my lost treasure. I am now 52 and still love finding a wonderful minature. Some day I’ll take pics and revisit you again. It’s been a long time joy of mine to collect the tiniest of items. Thanks for sharing! Lesley Franklin

14. Karin said:

i’ve had a thing for tiny things my whole life. i have a collection of tiny shells as well. when i was little i loved all the tiny sanrio (aka hello kitty) trinkets…and then as i got a little older, i loved collecting tiny toiletry bottles from hotels and such. i recently blogged about these adorable tiny erasers i found: http://what-the-font.blogspot.com/2009/01/japanese-cuteness.html

15. Delicate Creature said:

howdy! your tiny collection, and this photo, rock! i have a collection of tiny beach rocks. :)

16. nichole said:

Those are exquisite!

17. Amy Nieto said:

My family likes to collect tantrums, hurtful secrets and pent-up repressions.

Oh, you mean like real tangible stuff.

:P I kid.

I don’t collect one thing in particular, but I find myself picking up anything from the floor (I’m surprised I haven’t picked up lepresy or herpes). Things like pretty Fall leaves, or seeds. At Whidbey Island up by Seattle, I gathered beautiful polished rocks, I perhaps saw only a couple of shells; all rocks. My collection maybe mirrors to what inspired you to make your ’09 calendar. Just pretty natural things.

Oh and I like collecting children’s sketches/drawings that I find anywhere.

18. *gemmifer* said:

Such a lovely photo of your adorable shells!

I’ve got many collections, the result (or benefit?) of being a pack rat. One that comes to mind is my collection of vintage photo postcards of children from the early 20th century. Some of them are just adorable and some of them are quite artistically composed. One day I’ll get around to posting about them on my blog!