we’re getting married one year from today…

oh my gosh….  :)

since it’s sooo far away, I haven’t really been thinking too much about the details. today I decided it was time to share with you my thoughts for our wedding, since this will eventually be our anniversary.  what feels like an eternity will probably sneak up on me faster than I know.  after dlb and I got engaged, we decided that the most important thing was to find a venue we loved as well as a photographer who we thought would suit us best.  our venue is an amazing outdoor location, right in the middle of the Columbia Gorge, complete with an amazing view of the river, wooden picnic tables, and a lake with a canoe!

next of course would be ideas and inspiration.  if you couldn’t already tell, I’m slightly in love with laboratory and specimen decor.  so naturally planning a wedding based on a science theme is totally up our sleeves.  our theme is loosely planned around terrariums, specimen sheets and bright pretty flowers at a summer mountain bbq.  specialty drinks, burgers and corn on the cob, pie and a buffet of cakes…  casual is our middle name, so nothing fussy, and loads of fun.

next mission… the dress.

{photos from once wed, small stump, the lovely lena corwin, ms weddings, british and exotic ferns, garandee, one love photo, dsbrennan, bridal veil lakes}

35 Responses to “we’re getting married one year from today…”

1. wendy said:

Your wedding will be awesome. I read in Martha Stewart Weddings to cut costs, a couple asked a few guests (I am assuming great bakers), to make a pie and bring it to the wedding. I think that is a great idea. And mmmm pie!

2. Amy B. said:

I did that thing with all the drinks in the glass containers at my outdoor wedding many years ago (my 9th anniversary is in a few days!). We had sea breezes, sweet tea, lemonade and mimosas. That was one of the most popular things at the reception — the guests loved it!

3. anna and the ring said:

Yey for vintage chemistry glassware. I love using them as vases. The make flowers seem so much more pretty!

4. Jaci said:

This sounds like a wonderful time! I love the natural and science-y theme…if I could do it all over again, this would be perfect!

5. emily said:

How exciting! I can’t wait to see how it all looks in the end. I’m sure it will be spectacular. Everything you do is beautiful.

6. hanna said:

that sounds perfect! and all those pictures are so pretty.

7. Penny said:

Great ideas! It should be fun to plan a wedding around this theme.

8. Emily said:

Oh, I am so glad you shared a board with us. It looks like its going to be such a wonderful celebration!

9. Prasanna said:

Hey congratulations! And that’s an interesting theme to choose…i’m sure plannign the wedding is going to be a lot of fun!

10. nole @ oh so beautiful paper said:

Yay! Happy future anniversary! I can’t wait to see your wedding planning evolve, and I just know that you will have an incredibly beautiful wedding. Just don’t forget to send me photos of your invites!

11. patricia said:

Somehow I can already imagine it. It’s going to be beautiful!

12. Esz said:

Oh this is going to be so interesting – I like the sound of your wedding already :-D

13. Asha said:

Ohhh yes. Your wedding is going to be gorgeous!!! Congratulations! :) Are you going to be taking advantage of the canoe and the river?! I hope so!!

14. JennyMac said:

Congrats…my wedding was my best production to date..and was not remotely stressful. I hope yours is absolutely the best day.

15. debbie said:

i love your theme. i am right there with you with the science obsession. #nerds.
    i’m glad you have lots of time to plan, so you won’t get too stressed.

can’t wait to see what dress you choose!

16. casey said:

it will be beautiful, i just know it. love your inspiration, and the venue, with hamburgers and corn sounds so great! can’t wait to see more!

17. the purcells said:

your plans sounds absolutely amazing so far – it will be beautiful i’m sure and can’t wait to see pictures in a year!

18. joanna goddard said:

So exciting! your wedding will be just gorgeous. i love these inspiration images xo

19. Miranda M. said:

That all sounds so lovely! I stopped in that tiny Bridal Veil post office a couple years ago. I love the idea of a wedding around there. Man, I wish I lived in Portland. I’ll be curious to know what beer you serve…

20. jen jafarzadeh said:

what a gorgeous inspiration board — your wedding is going to be fantastic, alyson! I also love the woodsy, terrarium, mossy, ferns, wildflowers, and specimen style. and it sounds like it totally suits your location.

21. Jack said:

Congratulations and best of luck. Hope you enjoy the planning and everything leading up to the big day. And for a little added inspiration, check out this brief video — ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/197 — it’s one couple’s “aha moment” regarding their relationship, with an extra special moment thrown in, too. I know you’ll enjoy it.

22. jones said:

amazing inspiration board. your location looks brillant!!

23. Amy@OldSweetSong said:

Congrats again! And wow, looks like it will be a beautiful shin dig. I’m jealous and I can’t waaaait to see pics. I guess it ‘ll be a little while, huh?

24. Sarah said:

I absolutely cannot wait to see your ideas come to life!!!