our little friends

4174733338_59019ac666_b

this morning when I woke up, opened the blinds and remembered that the liquid in our hummingbird feeder was probably frozen.  we’ve been having such cold nights that each day we have to thaw out the feeder so our little friends can eat!  after the feeder was thawed, this little lady and her man hung out on our porch for awhile.  dlb captured this quiet moment as she sat in between sips.

I’m exhausted today friends.  sorry for the lack of posts!

19 Responses to “our little friends”

1. Rene said:

Thank you so much for sharing this! Our hummingbirds have flown south for the winter and we miss them, but are enjoying our other feathered friends.

2. Indrek said:

You have a really lovely friend. So nice you care for them.

We have squirrels that we feed mostly every day with some peanuts. In the mornings they just sit on the ledge of the handrail and just wait looking through the window. If they could talk it would probably be something like “Come on now, I don’t have all day”. They’re just so cute :)

3. Allison said:

Amazing photo! I’ve never seen a hummingbird at rest. It’s beautiful.

4. chelseas said:

I can’t believe hummingbirds are still in Portland! I saw one the other day trying to sip from a frozen geranium on my porch. Heartbreaking!

5. myra :: twigs & honey said:

How cute! My hubby and I put out a hummingbird feeder a while ago, but the cats in the neighborhood scared all the hummingbirds away. :T You are lucky!

6. Emily said:

A lovely post and image to accompany it! So sweet of you to keep the food going for those wee birds!

7. sylvi said:

that is a beautiful photo, first of all. and secondly -hummingbirds! in my northern world they exist only in old animated films dressed up like a barbershop chorus. my birdfeeder envy is the shade of that amazing creature right now.

i do get tits on the balcony, which sounds like fun. but they’re messy and quarrelsome lil’ punks.

8. Jaeve said:

WOW! That is a BEAUTIFUL shot! And how lovely to wake up to that! :)

9. Giovanna said:

omg, this is so beautiful. i can’t wait to show my boyfriend’s parents, who have birdfeeders set up around their property. they can never get a good shot of a hummingbird at rest. lovely.

10. Brandi said:

This little one is so cute! I’ve noticed lots of hummingbirds where I live in San Diego. I really need to set up some plants and hummingbird feeders — my cats would LOVE watching them.

11. lauren said:

that photo is amazing, and it’s my favorite of the week –
    you must have one super nice camera AND a steady hand!