my favorite biscuits

biscuits2

good morning!  I hope you had a nice weekend.  ours was relaxing and productive complete with nursery organization, drinking tea and eating biscuits.  not just any biscuits – the best biscuits ever.  they’re flaky and buttery and oh so good.  I wrote down this recipe 3 or 4 years ago and it’s been my go-to biscuit recipe ever since.  it’s definitely well loved.

do you have any recipes like that?  one’s that you make over and over because they’re just THAT good?  I’d love to know.  here’s mine:

favorite biscuits
makes 15 biscuits

2 cups flour {the original recipe I wrote down was for wheat biscuits, so you can use 1 cup white flour and 1 cup wheat if you’d like.  I just prefer these with all white flour}
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup milk or buttermilk

mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
cut in butter until mixture is course and crumbly.
stir in milk just until combined.
knead about 10 times on a lightly floured surface.
roll to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with a round biscuit cutter.
place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until just lightly browned.

I serve these warm with honey, as sandwiches with egg & cheese in the middle or even with sliced up strawberries & whipped cream.  enjoy!

biscuit1

{photos by me}

18 Responses to “my favorite biscuits”

1. jillian said:

those look delicious! i LOVE biscuits. my grandpa makes the best biscuits and gravy :) xoxo jcd

2. Brodie said:

are these like scones? they look yummy. i’d have them with jam :)

3. Brittany said:

i can’t say that i’ve ever had a hankering for a biscuit, but i sure do now!

4. Amber said:

As a Southern girl, I love biscuits. I will have to try these out!

5. miri said:

well… i know what i’ll be baking tonight then!

6. casey said:

This Southern girl loves herself a good biscuit. These look spot on. I have a banana bread recipe that I always go back too. For some reason bananas never get consumed before they turn all spotty in my home and this one takes advantage of that.

7. Emma said:

In Australia we call these Scones! There’s also a town in regional NSW called Scone but pronounced Scoan.

Recently my friend from New York also explained that Biscuits (Australia) = Cookies (USA). Now there will be no more confusion!

8. rebecca s. said:

these looks absolutely amazing. i will definitely give these a try this weekend, thanks for sharing!

i also wanted to mention that your photos are stunning.

9. Amber said:

super good recipe! Thanks!

I have a good one for four tortilllllas:

2 cups flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 cup butter/lard
    3/4 cup hot water

Mix flour and non-water stuff real good. Pour in water and then mix that all up until it is mixed all up. Break it into balls that are the size you want. Cover with damp-ish paper towel for 20 minutes. Then flatten and cook them in a pan.

10. STEsker said:

This is such a great recipe – it’s fail-proof! I’ve made them three times – with my two-year old son, who loves to mush the dough between his fingers and cut out the circles of dough. He and my southern husband eat these with butter and honey or strawberry jam. They’re even delicious the next morning for a breakfast treat! Thank you!