guest post: bright and bold kids books

during my maternity leave, I asked a few of my favorite mamas and mamas-to-be to kindly step in with some fun guest posts to keep you company

abby guest post

Hi, this is Abby with Abby Try Again.  I’m so happy to be guest posting here today. I hope Alyson and her family are doing well. I’ve loved following their journey into parenthood.

Back in March Alyson posted about her favorite books and asked for suggestions. I thought it’d be fun to post my own special selections here. As an Aunt to twelve nephews and nieces and a former children’s boutique salesperson, I’ve read a lot of kid’s books over the years.  For babies, I adore books with bright, bold illustrations and books with simple stories that are easy to read. After all, Mama and Papa will probably be reading them over and over again to the little one, so they may as well be pretty, right?

From the top: Bruno Munari’s ABC, Taro Gomi’s Bus StopsSara Anderson’s Vegetables, Lois Ehlert’s Planting a Rainbow, Taro Miura’s Tools, Charley Harper’s 123

7 Responses to “guest post: bright and bold kids books”

1. Sweet Ronit said:

Don’t forget books in black and white, like those by Tana Hoban, to look at with newborns. They don’t start seeing color until after three months of age! These are great selections for after that though – I especially love Taro Gomi.

2. abby said:

Thanks so much for letting me guest post, Alyson.
    And actually, that’s a myth that babies can’t see in color-of course they can! They have a harder time distinguishing particular shades (say coral from typical orange) but they most certainly see in color. :)

3. Sweet Ronit said:

That’s interesting, Abby, thank you for setting me straight. My career has been early intervention and infant/toddler social-emotional development – it just goes to show that perhaps the experts I learned from can be wrong at times!

4. elizabeth antonia said:

i love all of your selections abby! i’ve never seen the bus stops by taro gomi. i’m going to have to look it up!!

5. Brooke R. said:

Just bought Charlie Harper’s 123 and had just added Bruno Munari’s ABCs to Juniper’s wishlist. Great minds think alike!

6. mary catherine said:

Love all of these colorful covers! Good ideas to pick up for my newest little one so he/she has some new pages to chew on that big sister didn’t get to first. :)