Philippines typhoon relief : how to help

Philippines - photo by Alyson Brown

as many of you know, I have family in the Philippines.  they are safe.  and thank you so so much for the love, outreach and concern about them.  miraculously where they live was left unharmed.  but as I’m sure you’ve seen, there are many, many places that were not so lucky.  the damage is just heartbreaking.

for those in Tacloban and the surrounding coastal areas severely affected by the storm, my heart goes out to them.  and here’s how you can help:

• Philippine Typhoon Relief: A relief fund set up by my friend Odessa to help us raise funds for the Philippines. You can help the thousands who desperately need food, clean water, shelter, and medicine, right now.
  • Citizens’ Disaster Response Center: An organization in the Philippines that provides community-based disaster management.
  • The United Nations World Food Programme: The WFP has set up an online donation page that will help rush food and resources to the regions affected.
  • International Rescue Commitee: The IRC is working to provide a strong humanitarian response to Haiyan victims.
  • The Philippine Red Cross: Donations will help mobilize teams on the ground with rescue and relief efforts.
  • UNICEF: Donations will help children gain access to medical supplies and clean drinking water. “Safe drinking water can be impossible to find after such a massive natural disaster. And without it, a child will drink whatever water she can find, no matter how dirty or diseased. That drink can quickly lead to diarrhea, disease and death,” UNICEF president Caryl M. Stern said.
  • World Vision: World Vision is working to get food and resources to those in evacuation shelters.
  • Salvation Army: Donate online for the Salvation Army’s relief efforts. In the United States, donate online here or text TYPHOON to 80888 to immediately donate $10.
  • Save the Children: Donations will help children and families in the Philippines, Laos and Vietnam. Ten percent of every donation will go toward preparing for any future disasters in the area.
Philippines - photo by Alyson Brown

{photos from our recent trip to the Philippines earlier this year}

9 Responses to “Philippines typhoon relief : how to help”

1. Jenny said:

Hi Alyson,
    Thank you so much for posting about this and I’m glad to hear that your family is safe and sound in the Philippines.
    Every little bit helps and I’m sure this post will go a long way.
    All the best,
    Jenny

2. Angela said:

Glad to hear about your family being safe. I spent a good deal of time today trying to research which organizations would be most helpful to donate to… I don’t have a lot to contribute, but wanted to make sure it would count! I finally found this via twitter which kind of details different organizations and how they can help:

I hope this helps some people that may be confused on how to donate like I was – & thank you for posting a list here on your blog because it really helps spread the word!

Angela

3. jen goff said:

thank you for posting. i am happy your family is safe. xo

4. Odessa said:

Hi Alyson,
    Thank you so much for spreading the word about our campaign! <3

5. Jamila said:

Hi Alyson. Thank you for this list! It’s good to know that your family is safe.
    All the best,
    Jamila

6. Victoria said:

Hi Alyson,
    I just found your blog and I wanted to say thanks for this post. It’s a really good collection of all the different ways to help. I also just looked through your other Philippines posts and was surprised to see Botolan in them. My dad is from San Narciso in Zambales so we go back often – I’ve never been to Donsol or Dumaguete, though – maybe I’ll have to add it to my list of places to visit when I go back this August! Thanks again.

7. katiecrackernuts said:

Wow. I didn’t know you had family in the Philippines. So thrilled to hear they are safe. I work for UNICEF Australia, so I have heard the bad but also amazing stories of people who are giving and giving and giving. Our office had a call from a five-year-old (with help from Mum) who wanted to give pocket money. We’ve had another family phone to say their Christmas gift-buying budget has been donated. Gosh. What do you say but thank you.